Finally! – an update on the Atelier de Bresoles class. I’ve been meaning to show more work, but there’s always so much to take in on a studio day, I stopped trying to do progress pics for a while.
So after 16 sessions, we’ve moved through drawing via measuring, glazing in black and white (cast painting) and again in color (master copy), and now *finally* working from the figure full time :) Huzza! This is what I’ve been waiting for!
So this is my first oil study applying part of what we’ve covered. I did a linear block in with raw umber using a teeeeeny brush (checking measurements frequently), and went in with a pre-mixed range of warm and cool skin tone, organized the values into two zones – light shape vs the shadow mass. What I am *not* applying in this 6 hr study is any glazing. This is alla-prima (all in one shot). We have another two sessions with this model, so for the next attempt I’ll be working larger, and taking in more passes (block in>mosaic ‘ebuache’ >dry a week>glazing>edge adjustment). Basically going at it more formally.
Alla-prima is completely different than the glazing we did on casts, so I feel like I slid backwards a bit in terms of rendering. Basically, when faced with the model, I kind of just fell back into what I always do, just with more drawing theory supporting me.
The surface isn’t anywhere near as sensitive as I’d like. So the next one! For Real! Going old school glazing :) But this was a good warm up, and I feel like it’s a better likeness than usual for me. (Due to beating the drawing with the measuring stick). Training is paying off.